We know how daunting hiring a contractor can be. You’ve probably heard horror stories about how a contractor didn’t finish a job or left a house a complete disaster. That’s why it is so important to work with a company you can trust. You have so many tools at your fingertips, and it’s up to you to educate yourself before working with anyone.
Below is a list of 10 helpful tips for selecting a reputable contractor, courtesy of Popular Mechanics:
- Go with Your Gut. The contractor will be working in and around your home, so trust your instincts about his character.
- Make Sure the Contractor is Licensed to Work in Your Area, Bonded, and Insured. A contractor that has the proper licensing and insurance indicates credibility, knowledge, and trustworthiness.
- Pick a Contractor Who Specializes in Your Project Type. Experience through research, training, and hands-on work in the field matters.
- Have a Detailed Contract in Place Before Any Work Begins. Having detailed plans and everything in writing clearly spells out expectations so there are no surprises.
- Find Out Who Will Be Performing the Work. Knowing exactly who will be coming to your home will give you peace of mind and confidence in the contractor.
- Give the Contractor Guidelines for Working In/Around Your Home. Let the company know of your preferences including arrival times and any off-limit areas of your home.
- Know What Your Responsibilities Are. If you need to move anything out of the way or need to plan for pet accommodations, it’s best to address that before the project starts.
- Ask About a Mechanic’s Lien. Check on the contractor’s legal status before signing anything.
- Look at Work Samples. This lets you see the quality of the work, and it might give you ideas for your own project.
- Think Locally. Support the local companies that have been in business and in the community for a long time.
We at Mount Valley Foundation Services are proud to meet these points and go above and beyond for our customers. We are challenging and changing the way homeowners view and work with contractors, and we want your experience with us to be memorable.
But don’t just take our word for it. You can learn more about others’ experiences firsthand by viewing reviews and testimonials from actual customers we’ve worked with. Our About Us page also has great information for you to further get acquainted with our company and our team.